Monday 1 August 2011

Summer Park Adventures- Who knew there was a swimmin' lake in Abbotsford? ( not me, apparently)

This afternoon, after being jilted by the bus driver one too many times (the third time, he flew by our driveway a full 6 minutes early, as we were gearing up for the climb), we gave up on our bus adventure (the kids loooove to do that) and decided to try out Albert Dyck Park 331515 Walmsley Ave

I was totally suprised. I'm sure this is the kind of park that real Abbotsfordians know about, but being only in my 6th year here, I was like, "Whoa!!! How awesome is this? A lake we can swim in without spending half an hour driving!!!". There were no people water skiing today, so just swimmers, which was great. There is even a separate beach for people and their doggies! (Don't tell Stella. 3 kids is enough work. One of these days I'll work up the courage to take her too)
Upside: Um, swimming! And it's not too cold either. Sandy beach (Addie complained that there were a few pebbles...), beach volleyball nets, doggie beach.
Downside: Teenagers who have a very vulgar, limited vocabulary. Port-o-Potties (but it's better than nothing!!) Also, on a busy day, you'll probably need to park on the road and walk in. Unless you have a gentleman for a husband who drops you off and then walks in <3

This is the park Caius gave a 1/1 because he thought it was not that great. He is still reconciling himself with the concept that "park" does not equal "playground". Addie loved it and so did the rest of us. I give it a 9/10...bathrooms would've made it a 10.

2 comments:

  1. I have lived in Abbotsford for 14 years, and I had no idea...way to go Jen! Plus, you get full marks for even considering the bus ride, there's something else I've never done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of this park and will definitely go and check it out for sure!! I especially love that there is a doggie beach :) We have been looking for a place to take our puppy Lucy - thanks Jen!

    ReplyDelete