Monday 1 August 2011

Summer Park Adventures- a quick recap

One of the reasons I love this project is that it will get me out of the house to do cool stuff with the kids. Once I'm out, we have a great time, and it's never as much work as I think it's going to be. Getting out , however, always seems to take a Herculean effort. Here are the parks we've done this summer...sadly, not very many yet. :) But now that the SUN has decided to cooperate, we should get more visits in. (I am however keeping in mind Karina Loewen's motto that 'summer is an attitude').

Upper Sumas Mountain Park 36321 Vye Road (but parking is off Whatcom)
This is the playground of the elementary school by the same name. I'll tell you why I love it. There is a large tree (or trees? my memory, not the best) at the side of the playground, surrounded by benches. The benches, therefore, are almost always in shade. Ta da! I got to (mostly) sit and drink my $1 caramel iced coffee while my kiddos baked in the hot sun. They were totally sunscreened though. And also spent a lot of their time in, or under things which would give them shade. So I'm not really that terrible of a mother...
There are two playgrounds: 1 more modern (think bright colours, metal, super safety bars almost everywhere except where Mia (2 years old) decided to hang over the edge, of course), and one wooden, and totally awesome. It reminds me of the good ol' days...shaky bridges and cool little holes in the wood posts where you can hide rock and stick 'treasures'- you know the kind! There are also a few swings, a giant tire to hide in, and a great big field (which my Parks and Rec worker husband assures me has no holes which will cause rolled ankles...he is constantly filling in those holes).
So on the upside: cool playground variety, big shady tree, benches, easy access off Whatcom Road, and proximity to Timmy's/McD's.
On the downside: Sometimes smells quite a lot like the farmers' fields. Also there are no bathrooms (at least they weren't unlocked the 2 times I've been there)
This was our first park and the kids gave it a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment